Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Catoptrophobia: Fear of Mirrors

By Sheren (Age 10.5, Singapore International School)

Image via WikiCommons
Hi, I am a famous actress in Canada named Tina. I have a great family and many friends. They support me whenever I go to perform. But do you know that I once had a fear called catoptrophobia? It is a fear of mirrors. Do you want to know how I overcame this fear? Well then, continue reading.

When I was young, I was raised in a small town in Canada. The first word I spoke was "mirrors". My parents were great to me and bought me tons of mirrors that piled up in my bedroom. There were mirrors hung up everywhere in my room. Every time before my mother brought me out for a walk in the park, I would always cry out loud if she did not put me in front of a mirror to make sure I was neat. My mother didn't seem to mind. She seemed to appreciate it, and she would always say, "Tina, my little daughter. I am glad you are fond of mirrors. One day, I would like you to be an actress!" Those words remained in my mind. Of course I would like to fulfill my mother's dream.

At the age of 9, I was sent to a school where I could enroll in classes like fashion and acting. I got good grades. But on August 20th, 2008, when it was still our break, I was studying acting at home. I decided to ask my mother to buy me some great clothes. After she bought me some, I immediately tried them on. I admired myself in front of the mirrors that hung in my room. My mother told me that I looked beautiful and mature. Suddenly, I felt a sudden fright come through my body. I shouted, "Ah! Why are all these mirrors hanging here? I am scared of them! Help, mom!"

My mother took me to the doctor and the doctor said I had a fear of mirrors. After that, my parents had to take off all the mirrors in my room. I was heart-broken. How could I continue my dream of being an actress? I looked at my mother, but she only shook her head. From then on, when I saw a mirror I had to put on a pair of glasses that would prevent me from looking at mirrors.

I felt that this fear was making my life more difficult and stressful. It made it more difficult to comb my hair, brush my teeth, and make sure I look neat and tidy. My dream of being an actress was coming to an end. I could not put on make-up and beautiful clothes I used to wear. I felt angry and annoyed, sad and disappointed.

One day, I said to my mother confidently, "Mom, I am going to face my phobia so I can be an actress just like you wanted."

My mother stared at me in disbelief. She said, "Well then, if my daughter wants to do it, then go ahead! Do you remember those mirrors you had when you were young? I still have them. They can help you overcome your fear. Just hang them back in your room and look at them everyday before you go to school, play, or anything!"

My mother went to the attic and pulled out a huge bag. I hesitantly opened the bag and took out the mirrors with their backs facing me. I slowly turned it over and stared into it. My heart pounded loudly like a drum. My face was pale. I then placed all the mirrors onto my wall and made a promise to myself, "You must look at these mirrors at least three times a day or more, just to overcome the fear."

From then on, I tried my best everyday to look at the mirrors. It became more and more convenient. I could continue to be an actress! As I grew up, I encountered more and more difficulties, but I plucked up my courage to face the problem. I soon became a famous actress. I have reached my goal. I still remember the day when I found out that I had catoptrophobia, the fear of mirrors. I am glad I overcame it and faced it. I feel proud and want to thank my parents for encouraging me!

No comments: