Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Escape from the White House

By Ryan (age 10, St. Paul's Co-Ed)

So tired of being the president’s son, I needed to have a day free. “Oh man, the horrible bodyguard is sticking to me like glue and guarding me even when I am in the toilet!”, I whispered to myself with anger. There’s always no privacy and freedom for me. No playing with my friends. Not making any decisions with my classmates. It was definitely horrible and disastrous. So I had an idea to escape from the boring house and have a great adventure to discover the world without my bodyguard for one entire day!

The sky turned black. It was bed time. I slipped into my bed and pretended to sleep but I knew I should wait for my parents to sleep first before I begin. At midnight, I knew that they had gone to bed because the corridor was all doomed and the rooms had no lights. I packed some things into my backpack, such as a torch, and tip-toed cautiously towards the main entrance. I slowly opened the door and closed it lightly. There were no more cars on the road and I started my journey.

Suddenly, the security guard from the main entrance woke up from his nap. He took out his torch and the light was so shiny that a yellow spot appeared on my T-shirt. The guard rushed towards me and started chasing me. I kept my eyes forward. But finally, he caught me and grabbed me back to the house. I shuffled back to my room and slammed the door. When the guard went back to the main entrance to sleep, I opened the window and I jumped out. Miraculously, I landed safely onto the ground.

The sun slowly appeared in the sky. There were cars driving on the road now. I thought that I should hurry up because I was just half way to my best friend Gabriel’s house. My head was filled with happiness and excitement. I could finally do whatever I want today! I could play video games, read, play basketball or soccer… “Hurray!” I shouted loudly at the top of my lungs. I finally arrived at my friend’s house. I knocked on the door and I could hear “Gabriel, go and open the door!” When he opened the door and saw me, he was totally shocked. He whispered to me, “Do you have one day free?” I nodded my head. He rushed into his room and packed his things and the adventure started!

We called a taxi and headed to Ocean Park. While sitting inside the taxi, I heard the radio saying “Hello everyone, I’m the president. I have one thing that I need your help with. I have lost my son this morning. I am so worried about him. Please help me!” I asked my driver if he could turn off the radio. He turned around and noticed that I was the president’s son. He glared at me with his beady eyes. I said immediately, “You’re a kind driver. Please don’t tell anyone I am here. I escaped because I want a day to be free without being following by the annoying Secret Service guards.” He turned back to the road and kept driving. Forty minutes passed. We saw the Ocean Park entrance and we were exhilarated. We paid and got out of the car. I took out my hat and wore it nicely so as to not be recognized by anyone.

Suddenly, a guy who was wearing a scary, black mask zoomed past me. Behind him, there was an old, weak woman whose bag was stolen by the burglar. I dropped my backpack and ran as fast as I could to get the burglar. The guy ran towards the roller coaster and jumped onto it. I jumped onto the roller coaster too to try to get the bag back. Then, someone called the police instantly. The ride finally finished. Two strong policemen were standing straight at the exit. I got the bag and returned it back to the woman.

Then, there were many reporters surrounding me. They asked me “Who are you? Why are you so brave?” I finally pulled off my hat and everyone was so surprised. I answered, “Hi! I am Ryan Chan, the president’s son. Dad, can you hear me? I am a hero now!” Everyone clapped and shook my hand.

For the rest of the day, my friend and I just went to play whatever we wanted and we won a lot of prizes. At last, the president and my mom and sister all arrived. They hugged me and they were crying but still felt very proud of me. I nervously told my dad the truth, “My escape is not because I don’t like you but because I was actually annoyed by the security guard. Even in class or in the toilet, he always sticks to me.” And then the crowd giggled loudly. The guard walked towards me and said, “Ok. I will not go somewhere that you don’t want me to go!” “Yeah!”, I screamed.

After going back home, I breathed a sigh of relief. The next day, going to school, my guard finally noticed that he should stay in the car and wait outside the school. When I stepped back into the classroom, I felt so free now. I can finally discuss anything I want in class now. My friends asked me, “Doesn’t your guard always stick to you?” I replied, “That’s not happening anymore.” From then on, I enjoyed my class in school. It was like there was “another” me.


No comments: