Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Rough Waters

Jason Liu, 9, CDNIS

    
            I sat in the cozy armchair in the living room of my cruise ship room. I watched the path of the ship on my in-room TV. Life seemed relaxing on this cruise. We were just over the halfway mark of our journey from Hong Kong to Honolulu. I felt really scared being so far from land, but some dolphins outside the boat comforted me by using their mouths to point downwards. I knew what they meant: there is a land down under. We are on top of an everlasting piece of land, the seabed. I smiled.
            Zzzzz. I snored as I dreamt about a cheeseburger when CRASH. The noise was even louder than a cannon blast. I jerked awake, grabbing my mom, and I freaked out. Immediately, I grabbed my life vest and took all my belongings. Then an announcement came over the PA telling us to remain in our rooms. Feeling seasick, I packed my bags as the captain tried to wrestle control of the 300 pound cruise ship.
            “Chirp chirp chirp,” birds sang as the ship recovered from its harrowing incident. The cruise had come to rest on a small, unknown island. The ship was damaged badly. On impact, when the ship slammed onto shore, the hull of the ship was badly scratched. People grabbed their belongings and evacuated the ship. We all gathered equipment to build a camp, complete with wooden rooms and furniture from the ship. It was fun building the houses. Then, a small group of aboriginals emerged from a giant dark cave.
            As we finished our dinner—barbeque roast—the captain was preparing for us a night full of fun on the beach. When we were “night bathing,” I saw a little light coming from the sea. I thought it was a cruise ship, but I wasn’t sure. I felt very nervous…What if they were pirates? Would they steal our stuff? How would they react when this island is empty. Would they hurt us? All these thoughts filled me.
            Splash! The boat crashed onto our beach! I half-expected pirates but instead it was a group of sailors. One of the sailors greeted us and gave us some snacks. The sailors also questioned us about how we ended up in this little island. They seemed very nice and friendly! All the sailors spoke with a decent American accent. (They were probably from America).
            I went on that boat. I was very impressed with its interior. An announcement came over the PA system: “We are going to Hong Kong”. Three minutes later, we were in the ocean…
            The boat was a bit nicer than the cruise, with a buffet dinner every night. With breakfast in bed included. The rooms that they had were way better than the cruise ship. (It looked more like an airline business class seat than a ship room). With personal televisions to top the nice service off. Life on the ship was nice, but I couldn’t wait to get home.
            PLACK! The ship docked at Harbour City, Hong Kong. All of us were back home. Reporters started flooding the ship, trying to interview us about our harrowing experience. A woman told a reporter, “I am going to ride an airplane next time.” I thought I’d agree with her…

No comments: