Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Great Chicago Fire

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
By Ryan (Age 10, St. Paul's)

"Ring... ring... ring..." I was woken up by the deafening alarm clock. Before I could leap out of the warm bed, I felt absolutely hot and I smelled a burning smell wafting in the air. My first thought was that I was on fire while my eyes were still closing with exhaustion. But there were disastrous screaming sounds outside my house and my eyes opened with fright and shock.

With a quick leap from my bed, I decided to dart out of my house. But I made a mental note that I wouldn't dash through the door because it was all on FIRE!!! My heart was pounding as fast as a cheetah's. Big sweat beads were trickling down my forehead rapidly, and my entire body was shaking with fear.

Almost feeling helpless, I couldn't believe that Chicago was on fire, because we had just built some buildings. But oh! The buildings were all made of wood. Tears were dropping down from my eyes. Suddenly, a marvelous idea came to my mind. Noticing that there was a fire extinguisher beside the bed, I jumped to it immediately and took it in an instant. I quickly sprayed the oxygen all over the door. Smoke was bursting out and the door was broken. I took the cooking glove from the kitchen and cautiously took away the hot, blasting wood by my door.

A smoky road was in front of me and there were many burning houses which caught my sight. I rushed out of my house and when I wanted to take some food for the disaster, my house made a sudden "KABOOM!" noise. My entire house was blown up and it was broken into pieces. Fortunately, I could escape from the disaster, but looking back at the horrible Chicago, I burst into tears, feeling extremely disappointed.

No comments: