Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

April Fools'!

By Sophie (Age 9, German Swiss International School)

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
The darkness took up all the space in my room. I jumped into my bed and relaxed. It was the 31st of March, 11pm. I didn't think I could stay awake much longer. 12 o'clock and it was April Fools'. I had to try. I jumped off my bed and switched on all the lights. The light was so strong, I felt as if I was in the spotlight. I flicked my eyelids and yawned, not knowing if I could stay awake.

I was straining myself to stay awake when my clock's buzzer rang its annoying little tune. I jumped up from bed and ran into my sister's room. "Pinch punch for the first of the month!" I shouted. My sister lurched her fist toward my stomach, and I ran back to my room, giddy with laughter.

That night I dreamed about all the pranks and tricks that would happen tomorrow. Not those tiny little "stick a note on someone's back" tricks, but something big and huge. I thought about my plan over and over, feeling like the most mischievous kid ever.

We lived on a rented small farm, on the coast of North Carolina. Our house stood near the edge of a tall cliff, with a tiny beach and luscious, clear water next to it. We were forbidden to jump from the cliff, or swim in the sea. Every day we had the same routine: getting up at five, milking the cows and feeding the sheep, pigs, cows, and horses. Before school, I was to run to the spring, miles away, to fetch clean water. But not today.

My alarm clock was set to three in the morning, and I was more tired than ever. But today was the day. I got out of my bed, and put on my swimsuit, flippers, and snorkel. Sliding down the stairs, I grabbed the rusty old pot I was to use to gather clean water. Letting the door slowly creak close behind me, I moved over to the edge of the cliff, taking a deep breath. "KAWABUNGA!" I yelled, jumping straight down toward the sparkling sea.

Landing in the cool water, I swam back to the top of the ocean and scooped up water with my pot. Laughing, I pulled myself up to the shore and looked up the cliff, the pot full of water in my hand. I found stairs leading back to the top of the cliff. Taking my flippers off, I carefully placed the pot on the rocky steps and sat down.

At the top of the steps, I sighed in relief, pulling myself upward. I ran across the field, finding that all the animals were asleep. Swiftly, I opened the door and placed the water on the kitchen table, running upstairs to find a towel.

Little did I know that that day, the owner of the house was coming to inspect the house! My mother was cooking breakfast when Mr. Muller barged into the house. "Let me see that," he said, pulling the rusty pot across the sink. Quickly, he gulped down the water, when his face cringed. "Disgusting!" he yelled, his face steaming. "You will move out of this house in a week. Start packing!" His loud voice echoed through the halls. He had ruined my April Fool's joke.

I went to school feeling bummed and annoyed, planning revenge.

A few days later, the whole house had been packed from head to toe. I decided to go and check the mail. My mother was whining about how she should sell the animals. My father was trying his best to calm her down. As I crossed the field, I noticed that the flag on our mailbox was sticking up. Mail! I pulled the door open and pulled out the mail. I noticed there was a letter from Mr. Muller's friend. It said that Mr. Muller had been poisoned by drinking or eating something bad. The farm was now ours! I ran inside to inform my parents, feeling like I just had the best April Fools' Day ever!

No comments: