Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Rubber Ducky

By Jennifer (Age 10, Hong Kong International School)

"Hey, come over and give me a hand!" yelled one of the workers of the Friendly Floatees company. "Okay, be right there!" yelled another.

The air inside the box was thick, and covered with dust. Inside was pitch black dark. Some of my friends had been sent on this boat before, but I never knew I would be too. My friends said that this was the boat to life. You don't want to be treasure in the ocean when you can instead have an owner that will wash you, take care of you, and love you.

"I guess it is my time to live a new life too," I said as I felt the box sway on the angry waves. "I cannot wait!" I squealed to my friend Fred Frog, and my other two friends Barbara Book and Diana Ducky. "Me too!" Diana yelled back. "This is the gateway for a new life," I said to the others, but they could hear the tiny drop of nervousness in me. What if I got thrown away? What if they didn't like me?

Barbara, who was so smart since she is a book that can float, said to me in her mystical voice, "Do not worry, for the hands of God will guide the boat to safety, and there, God will find our perfect owners for us."

Suddenly, I felt myself sliding to the right, as the boat started to move. It was January 10, 1992, and it was midnight. I had been on the boat for six hours. Everyone was asleep, except for Barbara. She was praying and whispering something, but I could not make it out since she was so quiet. Then, out of nowhere, came a rumble as loud as a train. Everyone woke up: all the 29,000 duckies and other floating bath toys.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
"What is that?" I screamed as there was another rumble as loud as a tornado.

"STORM!!!" Barbara cried out. "DUCK EVERYONE, DUCK!"

"Why are we afraid of ducks? I am a duck myself!" I screamed.

"NO! DUCK!"

"I see!" I yelled, as I put my head to the floor like everyone else. We all huddled and slept, when suddenly I felt myself tilting left. I thought it was the waves, but then I noticed it was really serious.

"We are going to fall!" screamed Diana.

"I don't want to die like this!" cried Tom, as water filled the box. Suddenly, the box ripped open, and we all fell out like sand flowing out of a bucket with a hole at the bottom. We all headed different directions.

"Bye!" we all yelled to each other. My friends all disappeared into the mist.

To be continued...

No comments: