Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Little Brother

By Chris (Age 13, Chinese International School)

My brother is the most inconsiderate, tardy, irresponsible, unsophisticated, annoying, rude, manipulative, arrogant, selfish, and stubborn person I have ever met on the face of this Earth. My mother has two sons; I'm the first.

Photo via Wikimedia Commons
I can describe my relationship between my brother and me in three words - mutually assured destruction - a lot like the relationship between the US and the USSR during the height of the Cold War. We are both constantly in an arms race to find ways to outsmart and overpower each other, whether it's through our parents' approval or through name calling. I would always have the moral high ground and would always have the better defense in an argument. However, a lot like the Soviet Union that had one of the most impressive and secretive spy agencies ever to step on this planet, my brother is the master of manipulation. Although I know he's tricking me, similar to the US, I would fall straight into his trap almost every single time. He would try to get on my nerves by laughing at me etc. and he would always know what buttons to push to get what he wants.

Yet, our relationship could also be compared to the relationship between the US and Canada or Australia and New Zealand. My brother would simply laugh his socks off about every single thing I do wrong, no matter how small the problem is, and I would laugh at him back. Although we do get angry with each other sometimes, in the end the whole thing would turn out to be a friendly competition. Sometimes, I would get angry at him because he would never pay attention to his studies and I would always pick on him about that topic. However, quite like Canada, he would be too stubborn and ignorant to listen to any advice.

I will conclude the assessment of my brother in one sentence: An intelligent child, who is too idiotic to realize how smart he is and reaches for the bare minimum.

My mother always tells me that I had the most attention when I was small. That's why I have a better self-esteem than my brother, therefore I have to be nicer to him. I don't think so, it's his own problem that he isn't as cool as me.

No comments: