Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Life of a Fish

By Chloe (Age 10.5, Singapore International School)


Well, that was it. Following my cousin's advice of roaming around the fishing bay was really not such a good idea. My pink tail shivered. I was squashed by some tuna and other fish together inside a big net. At least my mother and rotten-old-dirty-liar cousin were here. Well, somewhere in the net. I felt like crying. Then finally, I fainted.


It seemed like a million years after, when I was awoken by the most annoying voice. "Wake up ya'ol' lazy bums! Boy, I could see your big sharp tail!" I smacked my cousin before I could even get on my tails. Suddenly, I felt a feeling that we were not quite in our cozy Australian home ocean. I looked around and realized we were in a dirty fish tank. The back of the tank was covered in mold, and was brown and slimy. 


I swallowed. "Someone should clean up this place. I feel like I'm living in a garbage truck in Leano Bay in the ocean," I thought. A few fish were in the same room as us. They all looked like the school smarties in our school. I couldn't find mom. "Where are we?" I asked my cousin. 


"We are in... the Mongkok market, in Hong Kong!" he said in his most dramatic voice. 


"Wow..." I said, rolling my eyes, but inside, I felt really scared. 


There were plastic bags and fish tanks everywhere in the Hong Kong Mongkok fish market. I looked at the plastic bags lined up along the entrance of the market. Wait! There was mom! She looked sad. I felt like growing legs and escaping the tank and growing taller to walk over and remove mom from the plastic bag. But that was impossible. If only, if only. I took out my fishy diary and fishy pen:
Dear Diary,
I am sad. How could my cousin do this to me and mom?! Huh, if only we were still in our home... it all started when I was playing volleyfish in the school fishyard. Then my cousin called and asked me to meet him in the "What's Your Rush? Have a Cup!" fish cafe. I said goodbye to my friends and went to the cafe. He told me there was this incredible fish ball in the Fishing Bay that was over 1000 years old. 'Come on! Let's go!' he said. Well, that's where tragedy struck. Now I'm stuck here in the Hong Kong fish market ready to be sold. Yet mom is -
A girly scream interrupted my thoughts. I placed my fins on the glass and looked out. A little girl was happily screaming, and it seemed like she was pointing at me. Uh oh.

I started screaming myself. But I was too late. A cage net swept me up and lifted me out of the tank. With a 'Plop!', I dropped into a plastic bag filled with water - fresh water. I wanted to escape, but the opening of the bag was sealed suddenly. The little girl gazed at me. She had freckles on her cheeks and had the friendliest face ever. A strange feeling occurred and I seemed to like her. She took me home and kept me in a huge, clean fish tank. It felt like home. She fed me the right amount of food everyday. She even put some decorations to make me feel happy. I was overjoyed.

Maybe being in another one's home wasn't so bad after all. Sometimes she even gave me small letters and when I opened them, they were written by my mom!

No comments: